'THE REPOSADO' BY PORFIDIO
‘Reposado’ is by definition a hybrid ageing description particular and exclusive to spirits produced in Hispanic countries. It is hybrid since any Reposado spirit in any spirits category is actually “incompletely” aged for only a few months. This is done deliberately, as such short ageing imbues a white spirit with a slight wood aroma. However, the spirit is still dominated by the raw material aroma prevalent in white, unaged spirits (in our case, blue agave). Consequently, ‘Reposado’ is neither a true white spirit nor a truly aged spirit, but a hybrid form of these two.‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is fundamentally aligned with this approach, but accommodates the taste to a less ethnically-oriented market. This is achieved by ageing ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ for seven months instead of the customary two months; hence it is labelled as Reposado “Extra”. All other product characteristics are identical to ‘The Anejo by Porfidio’.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is made from 100% Blue Agave, not simply 100% Agave.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is made only from first-growth blue agave from the geographically delimited Jalisco
• region in Mexico.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is made from cold-pressed agave juice giving less than half the methanol content of the industry average for 100% Agave Tequila®.
• The cold-pressed agave juice is enzymatically hydrolized (not thermally hydrolized)
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is distilled with a state-of-the-art German Holstein still.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is classified as Reposado, but labeled as ‘Reposado Extra’ to highlight the extra 5 months of ageing.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is aged in virgin oak barrels, not in previously used barrels.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is continuously aged in hand-toasted virgin oak barrels throughout the entire ageing period.
• ‘The Reposado by Porfidio’ is ocean-matured, in a Tour-Du-Monde.
• The Result: What many believe to be the best Reposado made from 100% Blue Agave. Viva El Mundo Latino!
• Finest quality, hand-made glass bottle
• Note the detail of the red glass “fruits” on the glass cactus figurine in each cactus bottle
• Note the detail of the metallic sparkle effect on the label in red color
• Note the detail of the finest quality, hi-tech, natural-identical-synthetic cork
• Note that each carton is varnished
When our daughter moved to Dallas recently she sent us a bottle of Porfidio. Having never heard of it my wife and I put it away for a while before we tried it. Silly people. This stuff is so good we had to invest in some more. It is now our special occasion tequila. Whenever something really exciting happens we get the bottle out. Definitely agradable.
Had a shot of the anejo at a Tequila bar several years ago. Hadn't seen it available for years until on vacation. Had another shot there. Bought the reposado here on oldtowntequila.com. What an excellent Tequila. Vanilla on the back-end is glorious. Very smooth, wonderful scent, rich and flavorful. Far better than some of the more expensive Tequilas I've sampled.