Macurichos Puntas De Tepeztate Agave Spirit 750ml
- Maestro Mezcalero: Gonzalo Martinez Sernas
- Produced in Santiago Matatlán, Oaxaca
- 100% Tepeztate (A. marmorata)
- Cooked in a conical underground oven using pine and mesquite
- Milled using traditional stone tahona mill drawn by a horse
- Fermented in open air pine vats (“tinas”)
- Distilled twice using traditional copper pot stills
- Sichuan peppercorn, Granny Smith apples, and fresh dryer sheets lift off into a palate of bright yellow bell peppers followed by a brilliant tropical and floral spectrum which flashes past before a delicate finish recalls the peppercorns amid an ocean spray. Racy and bracing, like a cool breeze off a coastal mountaintop. Very highly recommended but not for the faint of heart.
Maestro mezcalero Gonzalo Martinez Sernas prefers his spirits strong and intense. Whether by proof or by raw product, his recent batches which could hardly encapsulate that impulse better.
This, one of two batches of “puntas”—the drinkable “heads” of a distillation run of spirits drawn from agave and sotol plants—are sure to set heads spinning both figuratively and literally. Historically considered “the mezcalero’s cut,” these are among the first releases of puntas to be commercially bottled and available in the US